What is a Best Friend and what makes them Stand out from the Crowd of Friends?
Hope is the foundation for all relationships. Without hope and belief, none of the relationships work at all. For two people to complete the journey from being friends to best friends; love, affection, respect & trust all are equally important. Surely, friends are great but a best friend is someone you can see your true self with. In this hurried world, a best friend is the soul of your life, your partner in crime, your to-go person for each and every problem, your companion, your shoulder to lean on. But what is the secret to maintaining such quality relationships? Well, the answer goes back to what our grandfathers and grandmothers taught us –“If you want to have friends, learn to become friends first.”
For an incredible camaraderie to establish, one has to know one another for a long time, they should know each other’s habits, characteristics, vices, and virtues very well. If you are looking for a best friend, don’t be in too much of a haste to get from someone you identify with, a regular friend to best friend. Take your time and it will be worth your time and energy.
iNTELLYJELLY, an online English magazine designed especially for kids, deals with children from the age 4 to 12. Here we know what a child is going through. To benefit you all, we recommend these few rules for best-friendship. Little do’s and don’ts. These will allow you to know the basic requirement of this pious relationship and how it differs from rest all.
Do’s and Don’t Rule for Best Friends
- Take a genuine interest in each other lives, likes, and dislikes.
- Work on building the foundation of your friendship with trust. Believe in one another. Yes trust each other but not blindly. What’s right for one may not be right for another. Any friendship works only when two different people strike a balance and find a midway suiting the two.
- Be each other’s backing forever. This bond calls for giving strong support to each other even when you are facing the whole wide world.
- Don’t take your best friend for granted ever. They are there for you but whether they choose to be with you at all times is their decision. Any friendship needs space to grow, so does this one.
- Be a giver, not a taker. A great friendship demands selfless giving and no ego issues. Ask what you can give your friends rather than what can your friends give you.
- Yes, they are your companions but they are an individual themselves. Don’t try to ‘own’ your friend or let them ‘own’ you. As important a best friend is, so are the other acquaintances. We live in a social world and have to behave our best socially. Keep your best friend close but don’t let formal knowns disbar you both.
- Don’t talk about your friend to others. Stay loyal! Loyalty is a rare commodity in today’s world. Don’t get jealousy and envy come anywhere close. Also, don’t drag other people into your union.
- Constantly be honest with each other. A best is the one whose opinion will always be authentic yet caring. If you know either one of you is heading for woe, talk about it in a concerned way
- If for some reason, things don’t work about between you two, don’t end it all. Stay friendly! Be a positive person. Give value to the past association and keep being friends. You never know when one might need the other.
Cherish such friends and keep them close to you. Remember your friends, spend time with them and if staying away, call them. Best friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart. Learn to live your life amidst such beautiful friendships.
“A good friend knows all your stories and experiences but a best friend has lived those with you. -Unknown”
Until next time!
See you all…